Wednesday, August 17, 2016
Do you have a little one starting school for the first time this fall? We know that is it an exciting time for both students and parents. Here is some information about Kindergarten in the Simcoe County District School Board (SCDSB) and what you can expect and how to plan for the first day of school:
- Senior Kindergarten students begin school on Tuesday, September 6, 2016.
- Junior Kindergarten students begin school on Thursday, September 8, 2016.
- Note that Ernest Cumberland ES is on a modified calendar. The first day of school for Ernest Cumberland JK students is Wed. Aug. 24.
- On the first day, proceed to the Kindergarten yard or entrance to meet your educators and find out what class your child will be in.
- Please pack the following items in your child’s backpack to be left at school:
- Indoor running shoes (Velcro or elastic laces)
- A large Ziploc bag with extra clothes (one pair of pants, one shirt, two pairs of underwear, two pairs of socks)
- Please ensure everything is labelled
- Pack a lunch and snacks in reusable, labelled containers, including a bottle for water. For healthy lunch ideas, check out EatRight Ontario.
If your child will ride the school bus, the Bus Tag program provides each Kindergarten student with a coloured tag that identifies the child’s name, route number, bus colour and stop location. All students with a bus tag must be met at their stop by a parent/guardian. To practice riding the bus and learn about bus safety, attend a First Rider session provided by the Simcoe County Student Transportation Consortium.
If your child is turning four years old before Dec. 31, 2016 and you have not yet registered them for Kindergarten, you can do so by calling 705-734-6363 x11750 or emailing email@example.com to schedule an appointment to register in person at the SCDSB’s Education Centre (1170 Hwy. 26 in Midhurst) until August 26 while school offices are closed. Starting August 29, please contact your home school to register as school offices will re-open that week.
If you have any further questions about your child’s first day, please contact your school the week of August 29.